The first mention of the Jarosław town hall dates from the last quarter of the 15th century. Certainly wooden - burned down in 1600 and after the fire built as a brick building. In 1625 again affected by fire and rebuilt in the style of the late Renaissance. Under the town hall, just like under other buildings in the Market Square there were multi-storey cellars, and the town hall itself was a building on a square plan with arcades. In 1782, Austrians occupied the town hall and utilised it as military workshops and demolished two floors. In 1850, reconstruction of the building was commenced, giving it the character of the English Gothic Revival. At the end of the 19th century as a result of construction-repair works the demolished floors and the top part of the tower were built, giving the building the current Neo-Renaissance appearance, much better corresponding to the overall appearance of the Jarosław Market Square.
There is a clock dating from 1896 on the town hall tower, made in Vienna in the studio of Richard Liebing. You need to walk 118 steps in order to get there. After winding the lines on cylinders with a crank, the clock can work for 36 hours. The weight to wind the clock weighs 20 kg, 30 kg to chime quarters, 50 kg to chime full hours.
Nearby the Jarosław town hall a mysterious discovery was made in 1967. During the works related to the reconstruction of the pavement of the Market Square, on the north-eastern side of the town hall, at a depth of about 1.5 meters the old road surface with ‘oak planks’ was discovered under which ‘at the bottom of a circular shape’ there was a ‘collection of human skulls’. Neither detailed archaeological research was conducted nor documentation prepared on the issue. According to the plan of the town from the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, this was a place of execution and of a pillory, which (taking into account the fact that there were no other remains than skulls) prompted the witnesses to reach a conclusion that remains of convicts were once thrown into the discovered pit. There were so many skulls that (according to the manager supervising the construction works) two trucks were loaded with them. The skulls were placed in a tomb built at the New Cemetery especially for this purpose. The place of location of the pit was marked with granite cubes in gray.