The Way of Saint James (Camino de Santiago) is a pilgrim route that has existed for almost 1200 years and which runs through entire Europe. It is a link between various nationalities, cultures and religions and has many branches in almost every European country. To this day in Poland have been marked 22 sections of The Way of St. James with a total length of almost 5000 km. From the Podkarpackie region it is over three and a half months of hiking and over one month of cycling.
The creation of the Podkarpackie Way of Saint James Via Regia was influenced by historical conditions as the route refers to the historical trade route leading from Kiev to Santiago de Compostela. Established in the 13th century under the name of Via Regia (King’s Road), it was primarily a trade trail.
The Podkarpackie Way of St. James Via Regia is an over 200 km long route starting from Medyka through Przemyśl, Jarosław, Przerworsk, Łańcut, Rzeszów, Ropczyce to Pilzno where it meets with western sections that run to Zgorzelec then through Germany and France to Spain.
Bearing in mind the development of the cult of St. James in the Podkarpackie region, a group of St. James’ worshipers and ZHR scouts founded on November 13, 2013, the Brotherhood of St. James the Apostle at the Shrine of the Tomb of Lord in Przeworsk. The Brotherhood derives directly from the Brotherhood of the St. James the Apostle in Więcławice Stare and refers to historical and spiritual values of the Brotherhood of the Tomb of Jesus Christ in Przeworsk, the purpose of which was to spread the cult of the Holy Sepulchre and to look after the pilgrims.
The Way of St. James Via Regia in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship:
Length 253 km, including the main route 200 km (Medyka – Pilzno), connection route 40 km (Korczowa – Przemyśl) and connection route 13 km (Zawarcie – Tuligłowy – Rokietnica).
Main route: Medyka (4054 km), Przemyśl (4030 km), Jarosław (3991 km), Przeworsk (3979 km), Łańcut (3949 km), Rzeszów (3921 km), Pilzno (3852 km).
Sites in Jarosław related to the route:
– The Way of St. James Via Regia Information Point is located in the building of the library of the Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Techniczno-Ekonomiczna in Jarosław, contact: Jacek Marian Hołub, tel. 502338847;
– Greek Catholic Church dedicated to the Lord’s Transfiguration (Marian Sanctuary „The Gates of Mercy”):
icon of the Lord’s Transfiguration in the iconostasis,
stained glass window of the Transfiguration of Lord in the presbytery
pilgrim’s shell (votive offering) in a glass case
– The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows – polychrome on a pillar in the main aisle (St. James the Apostle the Elder pilgrim with raised leg and the allegory of pilgrimage on an arcade in the northern aisle);
– the Dominican Monastery – monastery corridor (polychrome by Jakub Sobieski of a pilgrim in Santiago de Compostela);
– information board and signpost in the car park outside the Dominican church and monastery Dominikańska Street;
– kilometre marker – campus of the Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Techniczno-Ekonomiczna in Jarosław (3993)
– kilometre marker – Small Square (3990 km)