The Greek Catholic Concathedral of Transfiguration of Our Lord was built on the foundations of the former castle of the Ostrogskis. It was consecrated in 1747, although it was still an envelope.
The temple is one of the Jarosław’s sanctuaries. In its interior you can admire a beautiful icon of the Mother of God in the Hodegetria type: The Gate of Mercy, greatly worshiped and the target of numerous pilgrimages. This icon in the 18th century was in a different Jarosław Greek Catholic church: ‘Uspinnia Preczystoji Diwy Marii’ (Dormition of the Mother of God) from which it was ceremoniously transferred to the new temple.
The icon is painted using tempera on a support of three lime-tree boards, made in octagon shape. It shows half-length Mother of God, holding a figure of Jesus on the left shoulder, while with her right hand pointing at him. The icon was probably painted in the first half of the 18th century.
The icon from the beginning has been greatly worshiped, as being famous for many graces. Crowds of the faithful have always come to her feet. In 1779, Pope Pius VI through an Apostolic Brief concluded the ‘Myłoserdia Dweri’ [The Gate of Mercy] wonderful and gave it the appropriate indulgences.
The icon was crowned with papal crowns in the year 1996, on the occasion of the 400th anniversary of the Union of Brest.
A great honour for the town was the request of Pope Francis to include the miraculous image at St Peter’s Square in Rome during the inauguration of the Year of Mercy in the Catholic Church (08.12.2015).