In the year 1611 the owner of the town, Duchess Anna Ostrogska, on St Nicholaus Hill in Jarosław settled Benedictine Sisters brought from Chełmno in Pomerania. In this way, the first female monastery in the Diocese of Przemyśl was established. Brick St Nicholaus and Bishop Stanislaus Church was built in the years 1615-1624, whereas the adjacent to the church double leaf monastery was built in two stages and it was completed in the year 1648.
During the occupation, St Nicholaus Hill was taken by Germans. They established a prison and place of execution within the abbey. The state of the object after the war was tragic. The burnt church was destroyed in 80%. Towers and the monastery were roofless, walls were collapsing, fortified towers were devastated. A reminder of the ravages of war is the so-called Black Chapel which was founded as a result of the fire in 1944.
In July 1944, Germans leaving the area of the abbey, set fire to the monastery objects. In one of the rooms of the monastery, in the north wing there was a warehouse in which a large amount of carbide and other chemicals were stored. When the fire reached this room, it has created such a huge temperature that brick walls with the ceiling began to melt. The supporting structure was not violated, however, bricks were partially melted and blackened.
After the war, the room was restored, though leaving the black melted ceiling along with similar to stalactites icicles. Today a chapel, known as ‘the black chapel’ is located there. Our Lady of Częstochowa whose image is located in the interior is specially enshrined there.